If you want to know how to disable a laptop keyboard in Windows 10, then this article is for you. Sometimes keys on keyboards act funny when they get too hot, making them less responsive. This makes using the computer more frustrating. To fix this problem you can do a few simple steps that will help you make the keyboard much more responsive again. It’s effortless to do, and once you get it down, it will be so much easier to use the computer again.
Steps on How to Disable Laptop Keyboard
Solution 1: Using Device Manager
- Click on the Windows key given on the keyboard.
- Search for the Device Manager in the search bar and open it.
- There will be a list of the hardware find out the keyboards from the list.
- Select the keyboard you want to disable and right-click on it.
- You’ll find either Uninstall or Disable option.
- Click on that and give the confirmation by tapping on the Yes button.
Solution 2: Restarting OS
The first thing you need to do to learn how to disable a laptop keyboard in Windows is to restart the operating system. This may sound counter-intuitive, but in fact, it is one of the best ways to make the keyboard work better again. When you restarted the machine, the bootup process may have been stopped. Once it’s restarted, if your keyboard doesn’t respond right away, press F8 continually to bring up the boot menu, select “Safe Mode”, select “Run” and then type “Regedit” to locate and disable any of the programs that were running when the system was booting up.
Solution 3: Using Task Manager
The next step on how to disable a laptop keyboard in Windows 10 is to use the task manager to find the programs causing the issue.
- Right-click on the computer and go into the task manager.
- You should see all the programs currently running that you are using.
- Clicking on the plus sign will expand a menu, where you can select “End Task” and then “Exit Task”.
- This will shut down all the processes that are running that you don’t need.
If you have a game setup, you should look to see if there are any pop-ups that show up while playing the game. Click the Down arrow key to bring up the task manager and then double click on the “Start” button. The programs will now be listed one at a time. Simply press the Esc key to close out the programs.
Solution 4: Delete the temporary files
Remove all temporary internet files that you may have downloaded onto your PC. These may include antivirus programs, browser tools, and other free software tools.
- Press CTRL+F to find the temporary files.
- Permanently delete all these files.
- After you’ve deleted all the temporary files, restart your computer and repeat the steps on how to disable a laptop keyboard in Windows.
Solution 5: Using the Third-Party Application
Using the third-party application is a beneficial solution for the How to Disable Laptop Keyboard problem. You just need to download and install the third-party app.
Keyfreeze is the best third-party software that is used to disable the keyboard drivers. Open your web browser and search for the Keyfreeze app. Download the Keyfreeze software on your laptop and install it. Open the software and search for the drivers you want to disable. This is the famous software to disable the keyboard and trackpad driver.
Those are the simple steps on how to disable a laptop keyboard in Windows. There is a bit more detail to it, but those are the basics. This will help you if you ever accidentally become locked out of a computer that has no access to a mouse or any other input devices. It’s always good to be safe rather than sorry. If you are unsure of how to shut down a computer safely, you should contact a computer technician.